New Delhi: In India, the number of dengue virus cases has steadily increased. The capital Delhi saw an increase to over 5,270 cases, the highest in the city in a year since 2015. Most recently, on November 1, a total of 116,991 cases were recorded in India, according to the Union’s Ministry of Health.
Dengue is a mosquito-borne vector disease caused by the ‘Aedes Aegypti Mosquito’ that spreads the dengue virus. This virus is transmitted to humans through the bite of an infectious female Aedes mosquito and cannot be transmitted from person to person.
Early symptoms of the disease include rashes from mosquito bites, headache, muscle pain, joint pain, nausea, vomiting, high fever, etc. If the fever lasts for more than a week and climbs up to 104 ° F, then the person should see a doctor immediately. Failure to do so can worsen symptoms and become life-threatening.
There is no specific drug for dengue fever, however, but one should see a doctor after seeing similar symptoms.
Some Ayurvedic methods can help overcome the symptoms of dengue fever, like that Dr. Smita Naram, Co-Founder, Ayushakti. However, they are not a substitute for medication prescribed by a doctor. Below are home remedies from Dr. Naram who can help you fight dengue:
- Drink a teaspoon of papaya leaf juice twice a day
- Drink half a glass of pomegranate juice twice a day
- Chew 10-15 fresh tulsi (holy basil) leaves daily to strengthen the body’s defenses
- Drink ginger tea to improve appetite
One should also try to consume Ayurvedic herbs that are beneficial against dengue, such as:
- Tinospora Cordifolia (Guduchi), which increases liver function and improves immunity,
- antivirals such as pomegranate peels,
- Immune stimulant Andrographis Paniculata (Kalmegh), which prevents the virus from spreading,
- Solanum Xanthocarpum (Kantakari),
- Ginger, which targets respiratory and liver infections,
- Hollarrhena Antidysenterica (Kutaj),
- Holy basil (tulsi), which modulates immunity, preventing and relieving both viral and bacterial infections.
It is very important to build your own immune system to prevent or fight such diseases; You can try these simple Ayurvedic home remedies to maintain your body:
1. Ayurvedic preparation
Ingredients and method:
- Pomegranate – 1 outer peel
- Add 2 glasses of water, boil and make a decoction
- Cook and make 1/4 of a glass
- Strain into a cup
- Add a teaspoon of turmeric
- Drink this throughout the day
2. Green tea
Green tea is one of the highly effective drinks for strengthening immunity and also helps fight infections and diseases. The antioxidant looks for cell-damaging free radicals that destroy them.
Ginger is an ancient healing ingredient for many problems. It is an excellent resource for improving digestion and metabolism in the body. It also helps in balancing the immune system to restore its proper function.
Garlic has been used as an antiseptic, antibacterial, and antifungal agent. It can fight viruses, fungi, infections, and bacteria. Eating garlic can increase the number of virus-fighting T cells in the bloodstream. It does this by strengthening the immune system.
Aside from the above remedial measures, there are certain measures that one must be observed, such as
- Proper solid waste disposal and proper water storage,
- Boiling the water before drinking,
- Closing the container with a lid,
- Throwing away old water stored in pots or balconies to prevent mosquitoes from multiplying, using a mosquito net while sleeping,
- Keep your surroundings clean and dry to avoid mosquito-borne diseases.
(Disclaimer: This article is not a substitute for a professional doctor. Please consult with one before following any tips and seek medical help immediately if needed).