West Michigan residents with electrical and digital gear dies


MONTCALM COUNTY, MI – A Montcalm County resident diagnosed with eastern equine encephalitis (EEE) has died.

The officers did not identify the person and did not provide any age or gender.

The person is the second human case of electrical and electronic equipment in Michigan. A Barry County man became seriously ill but is now recovering.

“Our condolences to the family and friends of this Michigan resident,” said Dr. Joneigh Khaldun, Chief Medical Executive and Chief Deputy of Health for the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, in a written statement on Friday, October 2nd.

“Electrical and electronic equipment is one of the most dangerous mosquito-borne diseases in the United States. That’s why we decided last month to do an air treatment. We continue to urge Michiganders to take precautions against mosquitoes, “she said.

When the death was announced, health leaders said a horse from Baraga County, Upper Peninsula, had been diagnosed with electrical and electronic equipment. It is the first case of electrical and electronic equipment in the Upper Peninsula this year.

So far this year the state has registered 36 animal cases of electrical and electronic equipment in 15 districts. Last year when mosquito season ended, the state had 50 animal and 10 human cases.

Health officials say the threat from electrical and electronic equipment will continue until the areas are severely frozen, equivalent to temperatures below 28 degrees for several hours.

A vaccine is available for horses. The state veterinarian says horse owners should consider getting them vaccinated.

More from MLive

Michigan ends treatment of mid-air mosquitoes, 462,000 acres sprayed to control electrical and electronic equipment

State confirms first human case of mosquito-borne electrical and electronic equipment

The Michigan Supreme Court finds that the government has no power to continue the state of emergency

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.