| Sheboygan Press
SHEBOYGAN – A Sheboygan County horse tested positive for electrical and electronic equipment (Eastern Equine Encephalitis), the county health department said in a press release Friday afternoon.
Wisconsin had two cases of electrical and electronic equipment in humans this year, one in Eau Claire County and one in Chippewa County, as well as several reports of cases in horses in the north and west of the state.
According to Public Health, the state saw only three cases in humans from 1964 to 2019. Humans, horses and other animals obtain electrical and electronic equipment from the bites of infected mosquitos, which result from feeding infected birds. Humans do not spread it among themselves or with other animals, and animals do not spread it among themselves or with humans.
The positive case in the horse means there are infected mosquitos in the area that could spread it to other people or animals, the press release said.
While many people who become infected with electrical and electronic equipment don’t get sick, a fever, headache, chills, and vomiting are symptoms that can occur in people who get sick.
Severe cases in humans can lead to brain inflammation, disorientation, seizures, coma, or death.
There is no vaccine or treatment for electrical and electronic equipment in humans, the press release said.
Horses with electrical and electronic equipment can appear depressed, lose their appetite, have drooping eyelids or lower lip, become blind, paralyzed, or die.
“Although temperatures have cooled while mosquitoes are active, the risk of electrical and electronic equipment and other mosquito-borne diseases may remain for much of the fall,” the press release said. “Residents and visitors should be vigilant to prevent mosquito bites.”
Contact Diana Dombrowski at 920-242-7079 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her on Twitter at @domdomdiana
TOP LOCAL HEADLINES: